Careers rarely follow a smooth, linear trajectory. If you’re experiencing a stalled or faltering career — and most of us do at some point or another — take a good look in the mirror. Are you guilty of exhibiting any of these common behaviors? These ten career-killing pitfalls can mean the difference between an upward ride and a downward spiral at work. If you recognize your own behaviors here, make it your mission to change them — before you have to. In time, you’re likely to see your career move from a stall to a soar.
- Misfiring on performance or values — Over-committing and under-delivering.
- Resistance to change — Failing to embrace new ideas.
- Being a Problem Identifier vs a Problem Solver.
- Winning over your boss but not your business peer group.
- Always worrying about your next career move versus focusing on the present.
- Running for office – it’s totally transparent to everyone but you!
- Self-importance — exhibiting a humorless, rigid attitude.
- Lacking the courage and conviction to push back on the system.
- Forgetting to develop your own succession plan for when you get promoted.
- Complacency — you’ve stopped growing.
Author: Jack Welch