- 2 Water Yam tubers
- 2 tablespoons dried pepper
- 1 small red onion
- A quart of vegetable oil
- 1 garlic slice
- 1 seasoning bullion cube
1. Peel 3 Water Yams and clean thoroughly
2. Grate Water Yams into a thick fine texture. Do NOT add water.
3. Add Dried pepper, onions (chopped or ground), seasoning cube, garlic (ground), salt
4. Pour enough Vegetable oil into pot ready for a deep fry.
5. Now, thoroughly mix water yam paste and all ingredients together by hand or hand mixer.
6. Now, heat palm or vegetable oil in a saucepan.
7. Then scoop water yam mix into oil and fry on medium heat for around 6 minutes.
8. The OJOJO should sink to the bottom of the pot at first and then rise to the surface while frying.
9. Due to deep frying, all sides should cook evenly with no need to flip.
10. You know OJOJO is ready when its a light brown as shown here.
11. Drain excess oils by scooping newly fried OJOJO into gauze bowl or bowl with paper towel base.
12. Then do step 7 and 8 over again until all the water yam mix is gone.
13. OJOJO or Water Yam Balls is now ready to serve
– Deep Fryer can be used as a substitute for saucepan
– Time saver! A dry blender such as the magic bullet may be used to blend the water yam on “pause” setting
– Do not over mix to keep a textured consistency. Over mixed water yam will reduce paste thickness
– Cooking Times depend on stove temperature and kind. A good gauge will be to cook 2 minutes more or less
Photo courtesy: Spicebaby.com